Sunday, January 18, 2009

As Seen on the 5 AM News

I am a copycat. But I am a copycat in the name of science. With our record cold temperatures of -29º with a windchill making it feel like it is -45º, I just had to give the water vaporization a try. Our favortie weatherman demonstrated this on the 5:00 AM ( yes that is AM!) news Friday morning. It is so cool!
The materials needed and process are very simple. Take some hot water (I boiled some in the tea kettle and a saucepot), pour it into a cup (or leave it in the pan), go outside in the frigid cold temperatures (only after putting on a sweatshirt, a stocking hat and gloves) and throw the water into the air. Instant vapor! AWESOME!
Now the question. Would hot coffee produce the same color vapor as hot water? Hmmmm....we had to try it. As you can see in the picture, the vapor is the same color but the various drops that didn't turn to vapor are coffee colored. Interesting!
The picklets had a good time with it. I think they would have enjoyed it more if I would have let them sleep in for the public school snow day but oh well. It also gave me an excuse to make them take the garbage and recycling to the curb. I am evil in my own ways. ;-)
© 2009 Wicked Pickles-Homefront Lines

No comments: