Thursday, April 24, 2008

TV Free Day 3

This was a busy day! I accomplished more by noon than most people do in a whole day. OK, so I might be exaggerating but I was busy.

C and I went to my grandma's house to learn to make kolaches. Every respectable Bohemie girl and woman should know how to make these and we are no exception to that rule. And to quote my dad, "Someone needs to know how to make them besides Gaga." Gaga bakes almost everyday. Kolaches, rolls, cakes, pies...you name it, she bakes it. No better person in the world to learn from. It was priceless to see my grandma teach my daughter how to make the beloved family kolache. Comparing their hands while they worked brought a smile to my face and joy to my heart. To think my daughter has the opportunity to know her great-grandma and actually learn something so precious to my grandma's heart is something I will carry with me the rest of my life.


When the kolache baking was over and we were done "testing" them with a cup of coffee and/or Blue Bunn Orange Juice, we had to head outside to help my grandpa. At over 90 he still does most of his own yard work. He needed some help hammering a border going around his evergreens into the ground. We then had to lay grass seed into a rut. While Gaga (my grandma) and C spread the seed, I raked it in. My grandpa stood in the supervisory position...lol
We left a little after noon. We had so much fun and brought back with us memories to last a lifetime.

After DH got home we once again worked out in the lawn, this time plowing the garden and planting early veggies. We had the discussion earlier in the year where DH wanted to only plant 1 pepper and 1 tomato plant. WHAT???? How in the world would I be able to put up food for the winter with only 1 pepper and 1 tomato plant??? So, last night, I talked him into plowing another area in the yard to grow more garden! Yippee!After rototilling until dark, we have a 6x6 area completely plowed. In that area I have planted 6 cabbages, a row of radishes and a row of onions. This weekend I am going to plant another row of radishes, onions and also lettuce and spinach. He got about 1/2 of our regular garden done.We have plans to grow beans, eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, multicolored peppers and various herbs as well as the plants I mentioned earlier. C wants to grow peach trees so she has asked Gaga to save her seedlings that always come up. We will plant a row of those on the north side of the house if we get them.
After eating a late supper, we were in bed by 10, exhausted by a good day's work.
copyright 2008 The Homefront Lines

1 comment:

Dana Leeds said...

I love seeing the photos of your daughter and her great-grandmother baking together. My daughter is 7 and still has a pair of great-grandparents (82 & 87) and a great aunt (89 this month) who we get to see 4+ times a year. Her great aunt is an incredible baker, too, and bakes things every time we go up there. I'll have to see if she can give both of us a cooking lesson. :-)

Sounds like a busy day! But, a good one.