Thursday, May 29, 2008

Science Summer Club

Since we are decided to school year round we are constantly looking for new projects for the kids to work on. This summer I signed the kids up in a Science Summer Club and I tell you, I couldn't be happier about it. It is actually geared toward homeschoolers...how cool is that????

Joel Phillips at Quick Study Labs is offering a summer full of science fun...FOR FREE! I am not sure how I originally heard about this but I am so glad I did. I signed the boys up for Summer Club geared toward ages 12 and up. (even though V is only 11, I had permission to put him in the higher class) C is signed up for Kids Club intended for ages 8-11. There are five summer projects and each project lasts two weeks. There are no deadlines, no real schedules to follow and everything is done at home. Most of the materials needed can be found around home except for a multimeter, which can be found at hardware and auto parts stores or can be purchased at Joel's site for a pretty good price. He had a limited number of spaces for this summer program and those filled up pretty fast, but he had some late minute dropouts. If you are interested in signing your kids up for some Summer Science Fun visit www.quickstudylabs.com/register_club_guest.htm. I don't think you will be sorry you did.

V started the first lab for Summer Club today. He loved it! He read through the website very thoroughly, printed off pages as instructed, examined pictures and said, "I'm ready to start my projects." He got out his materials, read through the directions and carefully "planted" his projects. The most fun admittedly was breaking apart the brick!In this experiment he "planted" salt crystals. He has made a chart and has been checking his crystals hourly, charting as he checks, to see if they have "sprouted".
This is brick and a salt mixture.Making a chart to record the crystals hourly progress.
Next he made two terrariums where in one he planted a bean seed and in the other he planted bird seed. The terrariums hang right on the window for ease in observing. He has printed out his germination chart and is ready to record his results when the germination begins.

Measuring squares of paper towel.

Folding the plastic wrap to make the terrarium.

Hanging the bean up

I am so glad I signed the kids up for this. I am so bad at planning and actually following through with things that this just make my life easier. It is in depth enough that they really have to think but is easy enough they can do the experiments themselves and hands on enough it keeps their interest....and they are having fun to boot. Again, if you are interested in signing your kids up for some summer science fun visit www.quickstudylabs.com/register_club_guest.htm.

©2008 The Homefront Lines

1 comment:

Dana Leeds said...

We're doing this, too. We did the first week projects and are having fun! (I skipped the crystal part... maybe I shouldn't have). I need to post about what we're doing... just been a bit busy, but I'll get around to it. Thanks for sharing! And, have fun!