Monday, October 13, 2008

Unplugged: Smooth

This weeks Unplugged theme was smooth. Dill suggested the rock tumbler to make "smooth" rocks.Well, we have had this thing for 3 years new in the box so I agreed. Little did I know the whole process takes 3 weeks to a month. But, we went ahead and started the project.

After assembling the tumbler and rinsing the rocks we were ready to go.The picklets put the "grit" into the tumbler followed by the rinsed rocks and filled with water. They plugged the machine in and let it go for 48 hours.

After listening to thisfor 48 hours straight (imagine my headache), we opened the tumbler up and saw this.YUCK!

The directions said to let the rocks continue processing if there were still nooks and crannies so we left them in there. After moving the tumbler to a room where we could keep the door shut 24/7 the picklets plugged it back in.

Today we added the medium grit to let process for 15-21 days. After that they will add the polishing powder and let it process another few days.

So even though we didn't have an end product this week the process was started. We are hoping that in 3 or so weeks we will have nice "smooth" rocks!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you post a picture of the final result. Since childhood I have always wanted a rock tumbler. I looked into it once recently, but it sounded like such a noisy and lengthy process that I decided not to get one. I'd love to see the results though!

Michie said...

Sounds like a cool idea for the smooth project - who knew it takes so long? I never would have imagined! At least you are finally getting some use out of it! I'd also love to see what it looks like when you are done. :)

This Girl loves to Talk said...

I thought you just did it in a few hours.. like polishing them or something?? maybe you need already smoothish stones for that one..
good luck with the noise!! hah hahahahah

Gottfredsen said...

It really takes three weeks. uh oh. My son has been asking for one. Think I am going to try and avoid this one. Well good luck for the next couple of weeks.

So Smrt said...

That's great! We had that idea, but alas, no hidden tumbler in the closet. I can't wait to see how they turn out!

Unknown said...

We used smooth stones in our activity too - although my little one is only 2 and we didn't have a tumbler hiding anywhere! my grandfather loved lapidry and I've always been slightly obsessed with smooth stones :-)

Christie said...

Being a rather obsessive rock collector, I've always wanted one of these for my kids. I'd also love to see how it turns out. Great idea.