Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Sabbatical of Sorts

As I sit here drinking my Tropical Mango Snapple Antioxidant Water I have had many thoughts about finishing the year. We have been slacking and I know it. I have been unmotivated and it has trickled on to the picklets.

So, I decided since we have no ambition that we are going to take the rest of the year off. Hmmm, rest of the year off? I hear myself say that and get the heebie jeebies. Can I sit back and let the picklets take a little over a month off with no school, no structure, nothing?

Knowing I couldn't, I rethought my previous decision and decided we would take the rest of the year off with a few provisions. LOL...just like me to add rules to our sabbatical. So, for the rest of the year this is what I have come up with:
  • Reading of non-fiction books (they each have a pile that must be finished by the end of the year)
  • Cooking (they will each continue cooking the same as always)
  • Limited TV (History, Science and Social Studies at the tip of our fingertips)
  • Music (piano, ensemble)
  • Art (Sketch Tuesday)
  • Unplugged Theme of the week
  • Think!
  • Cleaning and Simplifying
  • Anything else that pops up and looks to be fun AND educational.

Though it doesn't seem like much right now, I know the picklets will benefit from all the above mentioned. My mind is cloudy, my brain frazzled and my house cluttered. I need the be renewed and refreshed for the new year. This is my first step towards that.

What are your December plans?


© 2008 Wicked Pickles-Homefront Lines

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds like a lot to me. I need to do the Sketch Tuesdays and things like that. You need to remind me. LOL.

We are going to going hard until the week before Christmas. I want to take advantage of the fact that we don't have any extra activities this month. Swimming and art won't start until after the New Year.

I am hoping to do a Christmas around the world theme. But we will see where we get. I know that once the new year starts we will have to really buckle down even more. :)

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a good plan to me. It sounds like you're still leaning toward unschooling. :-) If your blog posts are any indication, your children will thrive with it.

Mrs. Darling said...

Im glad someone else washes the cell phine! LOL
We're schooling right on through untiel the week of Christmas. If I let myd aughter have the time off its just too hard for her to get back at it! sigh