Friday, February 6, 2009

Did you know...

While working on a geography project this morning Dill said to me, "Did you know that America bought Antarctica from the Russians for 2 cents an acre?" I sat there and looked at him, probably like he had horns growing out of his ears, when Chip piped up and said, "America bought Antarctica?" Now, I wish I could show you Chips eyebrows raised and let you listen to the tone of voice during the question because it would make the story much more effective.

Dill then said, "I mean we bought America." I was shaking my head, on the verge of tears by this time knowing in my heart of hearts that I have failed my middling and am a complete failure as a homeschooling mom. Everything I have taught him has indeed gone in one ear and out the other. I asked, "Didn't we fight a war against England and win our independence? King George..."

Dill looked at me, like I had horns growing out of my ears, and responded (cut me off), "I meant Alaska!" as if I was supposed to have read his mind. We all bust into laughter.

I called Cool at work and relayed the whole sored affair. Explained that I have failed his children. He was very quiet at first, contemplating I'm sure. He kept interjecting, "Did he mean the Louisiana Purchase?" I refrained from telling him the Louisiana purchase was a deal between America and France. I'm nice like that sometimes.

By the time we got off the phone, Cool was laughing about as hard as I was and I had tears rolling down my cheeks.

Sometimes it is things like this that make homeschooling all the better!


copyright 2009 Wicked Pickles-Homefront Lines

No comments: