Wednesday, August 26, 2009

August 24, 2009

I guess you can say we "officially" started school Monday. It is a mish-mash of things BUT a pleasant, yet interesting mish-mash. We are starting pretty slow, only including a few subjects.

We did start with the workbox system. Well, really it is an envelope system but I like the ease of having the picklets go to their envelopes and go down the list, in order. Since Cool bought me a case of "inner office" envelopes, I can write the assignment right on the envelope saving the need for sticky notes. The "in order" is an obstacle since Chip wants to do the things he likes first, but he must have self discipline and learning that now will be easier than when he is my age.

Speaking of self discipline, we started The Book of Virtues Study today. What an amazing unit. I first saw this when it was passed through one of my groups, then a friend emailed the link to me. Then, I forgot about it until I was talking to that same friend this past week. How could I forget that??? I immediately called the library and have the book checked out until I can afford to buy my own. Day 1 was today. I read aloud from the book. We then filled in the worksheets together and while they did their copywork and lapbook component I read a few poems and a short story about "Please" who lived in a little boys mouth and was getting weaker and weaker because the boy was so rude. The picklets enjoyed the story and keep bringing it up.

We also started a "permanent" chore system this week. Since it seems that chores can't be done because the person the week before didn't do the chore properly, Cool decided that assigning permanent chores was the way to go. It doesn't make much sense but I guess in a kids mind it does. The picklets don't really care for this too much but they will get used to it. I am sure that when the chores get "mastered" the picklets will be able to move on to bigger and better chores.

I have much more to write, pictures to post and people to embarrass but playing editor must take the front seat tonight.


© 2008-2009 Wicked Pickles-The Homefront Lines

1 comment:

wdworkman said...

Sounds like a good first day. Hope the rest of the year goes as well.

Janet W