Thursday, October 29, 2009

This Day in History: The Ballpoint Pen

Each morning while delivering papers I listen to a radio station that plays music from the 70's, 80's, 90's and today. I love it. It is mellow, I know all the songs and well, I just love it. At about 5:20 each morning they have a segment called "This Day in History". They spew forth things from history that happened on that particular day. I find it educational and like to know that I am learning something before dawn.

Did you know that on this day in history the first ballpoint pen was sold in the United States at Gimbles Department Store? They had 10,000 in stock and sold out. Do you know the price of this wanted item? $12.50! Imagine how much $12.50 would have been back then and they sold out!

You can read all about the ballpoint pen history here. I believe I will have the picklets read about it today. Nothing like a little useless trivia to store in their minds. Who knows, maybe they will end up on Who Wants to be a Millionaire or Are you Smarter Than a 5th Grader or Jeopardy and then learning that useless trivia will suddenly be important. LOL


(c) 2008-2009 Wicked Pickles-Homefront Lines

No comments: