Monday, October 5, 2009

Why We No Longer Shop at Wal-Mart

We have given them every chance. Honestly, we have. We have over looked, made excuses and generally thought we couldn't shop anywhere but Wal-Mart because of their "low prices". But finally we have seen the light.

The trouble all started a few months ago. I had a tire go flat on a Sunday. We had to get tires that day because we were going to be out of town the next few. Cool took the van to Wal-Mart. Why? Because they are open on Sundays. He had them put on tires. They were costly, more than we normally pay. He came home and I forgot about it. Then, I got in the van the next morning and my van was all over the road. I mean all over it. When I tried to correct the steering, turning the wheel just a wee little bit made it feel like I was over-correcting. I quite honestly felt like I was going off the road a few times. I called Cool and he said noticed the same thing but didn't say anything because he wanted to see if I noticed it.

He called the tire department at Wal-Mart and talked to the manager. After telling the manager of the problem the manager said there was nothing he could do about it because the problem is with our van NOT the tires. Cool explained that he didn't have the problem before we got the new tires but the manager wouldn't hear of it. So, Cool called the store manager, told him of the issue and was put on hold. The store manager talked to the tire department manager and then explained to Cool there had been a misunderstanding and of course they would replace the tires. Hmmph. He made the appointment for the next day and I took the van in.

My appointment was at 10:00 and was told it would take 30-40 minutes. So, I shopped. Then I waited. And waited. And waited. I kept looking at the clock because I had to pick Chip up by noon and it was already 11:15. Finally the van was done! I went to the register and the guy working informed me he would have to get a manager to "ring me up". I asked why they would need to "ring me up" as this was just a replacement trip. After waiting for the manager (who had to be called twice back to the department) until 11:50, I finally found out. I had to pay for tire disposal, new this, different that to the tune of $30.00 per tire! I was livid, but had no time to argue since I had less than 10 minutes to pick Chip up. I paid and left.

It was a dreary, nasty, rainy day. We went out to the van, in a deluge, only to find out they didn't leave the key in the van AND didn't give it to me. I sent Dill back in to get it. We finally got on the road to pick Chip up at 12:05ish.

On the way to get Chip I kept hearing a strange sound but didn't think anything of it because it was raining. We got to the college, retrieved Chip who was waiting "patiently" and got back on the road. I rolled down the window to try and figure out what the strange sound was and decided I should pull over. That was when I found out my tires were wrapped in plastic! Yes, Wal-Mart put tires on my van, wrapped in plastic. Not only that but they didn't bother to take it off. And it was a rainy day. My God we could have been killed. I was shaking not only in anger but in relief. I called Cool, who immediately called the store only to be told that couldn't have happened.

Cool then tried to contact the general manager who, to present, still has not returned any correspondence. Yes, 3 months now.

I made the decision then and there that I would not shop at Wal-Mart again. I will do without rather than shop there. And until a few weeks ago that is exactly what I did. But then Dill wanted one of their lunch plates to eat while the rest of us had SubWay. I cringed and then agreed since I rather like the boneless chicken wings myself. The rest of us got Subway and waited for Dill.

He came out to the car crying. He asked for Sesame Chicken and mozzarella sticks. They put 6 little pieces of boneless sesame chicken wings on his plate. When he asked for a couple more they told him the rule was 6 pieces of chicken. These were the size of quarters for goodness sakes. Use common sense people!

I called the manager and explained the situation and was told, "Tell your son I apologize." That's it. No, I'll check in to it. No, let me have your phone number and I'll have the manager of the department get back to you. Just, "Tell your son I apologize." My mouth hung. What ever happened to customer satisfaction?

Well, that was all she wrote. I have absolutely no reason what so ever to go back to Wal-Mart again. That was the only draw for the rest of the family and now it is gone. Raise the price and lower the quantity does not bring repeat customers.

Even Cool, who thought we had to buy cat litter, cat food and dog food at Wal-Mart because of their low, low prices has found that cat litter is cheaper at the grocery store and the foods are both cheaper at Theisens.

Will Wal-Mart even notice that we are gone? Nope, not a chance. But I can tell you this. We feel much better NOT shopping at Wal-Mart. Even though some of the prices are cheaper (like Cascadian Farm Granola), it is the principle that matters more.

3 comments:

AF Wife99 said...

Wow- that is- unfortunately- not unbelievable. I don't know why anyone would shop there, really. Good for you for refusing to give them any more of your money!

Jennifer said...

I can't believe that they left the plastic on your tires! Wow!!

Danielle said...

That is why I love Target