Thursday, November 26, 2009

Truly Thankful

I am truly thankful this year. Not that I am not always thankful, but this year I am truly thankful. I know I am guilty of forgetting how truly blessed I am and what happened last Saturday put everything in perspective. I hope I don't start shaking again.

Last Saturday the picklets and I were leaving the big city after gymnastics and running errands. I was on my way out of town when I realized I really didn't have enough gas to get home. So, I turned around and headed back to the gas station by my mom and dad's house. I pulled up to the stoplight, pulled into the intersection and waited for a clearing to turn left. The light turned yellow and the moving cars started to slow and eventually stopped.

I was on a 4 lane road in a turn lane; two lanes of traffic to my left and two to my right. The cars on my right stopped. The car in the far left lane stopped. The car in the distance in closer to me left lane looked as if it was slowing so I started to turn. Guess what? The car wasn't stopping. Until they noticed the light had indeed turned red and, oh yeah, I was in the intersection.

Tires were screeching. The other car was sliding. I stopped turning and realized if I didn't get moving he was going to hit us. I floored it and just knew he was going to hit my rear end and send me plowing into other cars if I didn't get the h-e-double hockey stick out of there. I whipped the van around (some how) and started heading the other way.

Thank all that is good and holy, no one hit anyone. I pulled back around to see if anyone stopped and no one did. Traffic just started moving as if nothing had ever happened.

OMG...I couldn't stop shaking. We finally got to the gas station. The boys paid and pumped. I apologized to the picklets and explained to them that I should have waiting until the car coming at us had stopped. I was wrong to think the other person was going to stop. But I also explained that running a stoplight is wrong. If you don't pay attention to everything then accidents happen.

Each year at Thanksgiving we go around the table and tell what we are thankful for. This year I am truly thankful for everything I have in this life. It is all precious.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.


(c) 2008-2009 Wicked Pickles-Homefront Lines

No comments: