Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Homemade Donuts

I love homemade donuts. Just love them. I got the recipe when I was in 9th grade during cooking class. I hated the teacher but she gave us some great recipes. I still use two of the religiously. Homemade donuts is one of them. The recipe is very simple.

Homemade Donuts from Gerky's 9th grade cooking class

1-2 tubes biscuits
oil
cinnamon-sugar mix

Heat the oil to 350. I think in 9th grade cooking class we had thermometers. I don't think I have ever used one since for this particular purpose. Anyway, while the oil is heating cut a whole in the center of each biscuit. I think the 9th grade cooking teacher had a small biscuit cutter. When I used to make these at home I used the screw top of a 2 liter bottle. These days I just stick my finger through the biscuit and voila a hole.

Once the oil comes to temperature fry the biscuits watching them carefully and turning often so they don't burn. Once they are done, drain them on a paper towel and immediately dredge in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.

This time around I decided to try making the donuts a bit healthier.

Homemade Donuts from Gerky's 9th Grade Cooking Class Made Healthier (or not)

1-2 tubes dinner rolls previously purchased for 50 cents
chocolate frosting
sprinkles
cinnamon-sugar mixture
butter

Unroll the tube of dinner rolls. Stick finger through the middle and stretch out so it resembles a donut. Once all of them are done redo since they probably all closed up. Cook in preheated oven at the right temperature for the right amount of time. (see package directions)

Once they are out of the oven either frost them with the chocolate frosting and dredge in sprinkles or dredge them in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. But wait...the cinnamon-sugar won't stick because it wasn't fried in oil. So, melt some butter, dunk the top of the healthier donut into it and then into the cinnamon-sugar mixture.

Photobucket
So, maybe it's not that much healthier, but at least I tried.

(c) 2008-2009 Wicked Pickles-Homefront Lines

No comments: