Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Games for One

Mrs. Mandy asked me to expand on our shelf of one person games. I really meant to talk about this before it slipped my mind. I would love to show you a picture, but photographing my shelving unit and posting it on the internet for the whole world to see would not set well in my stomach and might cause a divorce, but I promise, as soon as I get it organized again, I will post a picture.

Some of the games we have for the picklets to play are:
  • Card games including solitaire, around the clock, memory that use regular cards and flashcards
  • Hi Q
  • Rush Hour
  • River Crossing
  • Madlibs
  • Bananagrams
  • Dominos (I know it is a 2 player game but when having to multiply or divide the numbers on the dominoe it becomes a 1 person game)
  • Simon
  • Hand held Sudoku
  • Tangrams
  • Geo Shapes
  • Wild Weather
  • Jenga
  • Keep Quiet
  • Circle a Words
  • Crossword Puzzles
  • Wrap-ups (not the Usborne ones the cheap ones from the Dollar Store)

Ok, so all of these aren't games. But the are all educational and can be used individually. All items are not available every day during school time. If that were the case, the favorites would be played all the time and the others would collect dust. Their workboxes each day include what games they can choose from. If they have time and play game A, game B, C or D needs to be chosen the next time. When they pick a game to play, they have to record it. What game, what time they started, what time they ended, what words they made, a story they wrote, a fact they learned. This way we have an evidence of learning should we ever need it. It's just a simple notebooking page for their portfolios.

FYI--All games are fair "game" (yuck yuck) after school work has been finished. The reason I limit to certain games is to ensure that the picklets get a little bit of everything in the down time.

I hope that explains our game system. If you have any other questions please ask. I love sharing what we do, how we use it and if it works.

PS...If you know of or have any good 1 player games please pass the names on to me. I love to tweak their minds when they don't know they are being tweaked. Mwaaaaaaaaaahhhh


(c) 2008-2009 Wicked Pickles-Homefront Lines

No comments: